Thursday, January 19, 2012

Parents do your Homework-A Cautionary Tale

I recently took my son to the doctor for a routine check-up. While there, the doctor alerted me that he didn’t have all of his immunization shots.  The doctor left out of the office and retuned with a printed file, which she had retrieved from a state-wide database that was supposed to show which shots my son had already been given.  This database, which is accessible to every doctor’s office, health department, etc., was established for the purpose of keeping track of a child’s immunization record and is intended to prevent mix-ups and over dosing of shots if a child visits more than one office. 

After reviewing the file, it was determined that not only was he missing some shots that he should have by now, but also that he had been accidently given a double dose of at least one immunization.  Somewhere along the line, the doctors were not accessing and/or inputting new immunizations into the database which lead to a mix-up as to which shots he had already been given and which shots he still needed, and this happens more often then we realize.  I immediately feared what the consequences could be; Would my son develop autism, would he get sick, was he exposed to a lethal dose of medication?  The doctor assured me that there was nothing to worry about.

“You don’t keep a record of your child’s immunization?” the doctor asked.  “No,” I responded, “I never do, I usually just let the doctor handle that.”  For a second afterward I was infuriated by what seemed to be the doctor’s attempt to blame me for this mishap.   But as I thought about it more, it hit me….I AM the parent….why shouldn’t I keep track of this just as I keep track of his school work and his sports, and everything else for that matter.  Why should this situation be any different?

The problem is that often times, parents assume that doctors know EVERYTHING. We take what they say at face value without asking questions because they have that doctorate degree.  But we must keep in mind that doctors are people too. They make mistakes, they overlook facts, and they forget things! 
We must be our child’s top advocate-just as we do at school and on the field!
How do we advocate for our child?

  • Do research on prescribed/administered meds. Be sure to pay special attention to how those meds interact with any other meds your child may be taking.
  • Take note of how your child responds to the meds. Did it take care of the problem? Did it cause any adverse reactions? Discuss your finding with your doctor.
  • Keep track of what is prescribed/administered and why.
  •  Ask, “WHY,” and demand that the doctor takes the time to explain it before rushing off to his next patient.   
  • Challenge the doctor when you think he is doing something wrong.  We know what is working and what isn’t. Expecting a doctor, who has only seen your child for less than 20 mins in X amount of weeks/months/years, to know everything is absurd.
  • Request a copy of your child's medical records every so often-you'd be suprised ti find what is inside sometimes 
  • Review your bill for errors in charges, etc. 
Fortunately, my son was spared any harm, but some kids, families, and doctors won’t be so lucky and blessed.  Although there are some systems, like the database, in place to help prevent mistakes,  nothing is full proof. Parents we must become and remain vigilant and informed when it comes to the medical care of our children!


1 comment:

  1. This is a critical piece of advice to help keep our children safe and healthy. Honestly, it's a great tip for adults too. I am making it a priority to keep my medical/immunization/vaccination records in order, especially since I travel often. I don't want too many Typhoid vaccinations or too few Hep shots. I need everything to be on point and on time! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete